Thursday, October 13, 2011

Stories from the sidewalk...



The Fall 40 Days for Life Vigil for fall is in full swing -- Monday is Day 6. This time, the Wilmington 40 Days team is concentrating not so much in our own ability to fill the schedule for forty days, but relying rather on the Holy Spirit to recruit as we dedicate our time to prayer and vigiling. We are seeing the fruits already. Friday at 1:00pm as we got ready to leave Planned Parenthood for the day, we had only two people signed up for the following day. But Saturday, 21 people showed up to pray and vigil in witness to the value of unborn human life!
We made a long line at the edge of the sidewalk, and prayed and sang from booklets assembled by Pat Radell just 24 hours before the vigil began. The booklets help focus our attention on prayer, song, and the peaceful, prayerful presence that we want to bring to our efforts for the unborn babies and their mothers.
We saw tears on Saturday. A woman and her 14-year-old daughter came out of Planned Parenthood looking distraught. The woman was in tears. I approached her as gently as possible and asked if I could help. She said that her daughter was five months pregnant and that Planned Parenthood couldn't do anything to "get rid of it." They had given her a referral number, but she was hoping that this could all be settled today.
I spent about 20 minutes with them, offering encouragement and help for the young lady to carry her baby to term. I won't try to describe the conversation - it was heartbreaking all around. They are Christians, who attend church, but didn't think their pastor could help. We prayed together, asking the Lord's grace and help. I felt a growing sense of helplessness as the older woman kept repeating, "She's only 14. I don't want her to ruin her life." Adoption was not an option, she said, -- "I don't want people looking down on her."

=== UPDATE ====
I am writing this from the Elsmere Library, in route from Wilmington to my physical therapy appointment, and wanting to get this message out before I get back to my own computer at home.
Lawanda is the name of the woman whose 14-year old daughter is 5 months pregnant. We were at prayer this morning in front of Planned Parenthood when to our surprise, Lawanda returned, but looking for us! She hoped she would find us there, and asked if I had the information about adoption that I had talked about!
I offered to take her on the spot to A Door of Hope, but she had errands to run and her daughter was not with her. I confess that I was rattled, and perhaps the Enemy was clouding my mind a bit, because I couldn't find any of the excellent information that I carry with me, and Lawanda's gentleman driver seemed impatient. I told her how very glad I was to see her. I said she had been very much on my heart all weekend and that I had been praying for her and her daughter. Her eyes filled with tears and she seemed genuinely touched, and thanked me. I gave her two brochures, neither of which was my "prime" material, but both of which had phone numbers that could help. I gave her my card, and urged her to call the numbers on the brochures, and to call me if she had any difficulty finding the help she needed.
Please offer prayers for Lawanda, her daughter, and the child that is five months in the womb and growing every minute as her mom, grandmom and family discern what to do. All of us 40 Days vigilers prayed, right there on the sidewalk, agreeing to ask the Father in Jesus' name for the life of that child, that He send grace and hope to the child's grandmother, and the child's mother -- who is only in middle school! -- to find the courage to give the beautiful gift of life to that growing child.
Pray with us, please.
-Rae Stabosz and the 40 Days for Life Wilmington Vigilers


http://www.40daysforlife.com/wilmington/
If you would like to get involved with 40 Days for Life here in Delaware please check out their website.

For any questions or concerns you may have email Pat Radell at patradell@yahoo.com

Look for more Stories from the Sidewalk coming soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment